Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentines Day! My top five couples in anime

Happy valentines day, everyone! You'll notice I'm writing in dark red today in order to be festive without burning everyone's eyes. Anyway, to celebrate this day of romance, I've decided to compile a list of my top five anime (and manga) couples of all time. Please enjoy!

5: Kyoko and Ren of Skip Beat!


"Until today, I've never lost it like I did just now. She pulled it out of me. A part of myself that I didn't even know existed."

-Ren Tsuruga

If you know me, I know what you're thinking, and no, these guys aren't on my list soully because Skip Beat! is my favorite anime and manga series of all time. I really do like the relationship between these two. Now, where I am in the story, these two technically aren't a 'couple,' what with Ren trying hard to deny that he has feelings for Kyoko, and Kyoko being afraid to fall for anyone after being crushed by the only boy she ever loved, but there is definitely something beautiful between these two. They care a great deal about each other and bring out the best in each other, which, in my opinion, is what a relationship is all about.



4: Ichiko and Eriko of Love My Life




"Being with Ichiko literally refreshes my heart. I don't know any other girl who looks at things in such an honest way."

- Eriko to Ichiko's father


Love My Life is a short, yuri josei series penned by Ebine Yamaji. It is probably the most realistic homosexuality story I have ever read, and the main couple above may be the most passionate I have ever seen in any anime series. The love these two have for each other is so strong and so moving. The way they met, the way that they can tell what each other are thinking, and the way they act when they are together are simply beautiful.





3: Nowaki and Hiroki of Junjou Romantica


"Maybe it is impossible to be absolutely sure of anything, but I can tell you this: there is no one in this world I could ever love more than I love you."
-Nowaki to Hiroki

So it's another gay couple. Big deal. Anyway, not only are Hiroki and Nowaki the only couple in Junjou Romantica that can actually say they love each other, they are incredibly compatible with one another. While Nowaki brings out the softer side in the cool and collected Hiroki, Hiroki brings out the stronger side in the sweet and sensitive Nowaki. They do fight often throughout the series, but each time they mend a riff in their relationship, their love for each other only grows that much stronger.



2: Yukino and Arima of Kare Kano

"As you became a stranger person, my feelings for you didn't change. I loved you all along." -Arima to Yukino


Ah, the classic shojou high school couple, right? From rivals, to friends, to lovers. But there is so much more to this beautiful relationship. Now this may sound cliche'd, but I like to compare this teen pair to two peices of a couple. They're opposites of each other, but in such a way that they fit together perfectly. And they're part of the same picture as well. Although they have different stories, both are trying to throw away the "masks" they have been wearing their entire lives, and they know that they'll need each other to bring their true selves out.

1: Miria and Isaac of Baccano!



"As long as I'm with you, I could be the president! I could be a king or a queen! I could even be a joker!"


"I don't know what that means, but it's incredible!"

-An exchange between Isaac and Miria


So are you pissed that my number one is a comic releif couple? Well suck it up. Isaac and Miria are by far the most energetic and compatible couple I have ever seen in anime. These two are one. You never see one without the other. They know what each other are thinking, they can predict each other's actions, and they feed off of each other's energy. They always seem to be happy and having fun, and I think it's because they know that when they're together, nothing can bring them down. Isaac and Miria are an unstoppable pair.

2 comments: