Thursday, July 22, 2010

What I'm Watching

Hello! So unfortunately, right now as I'm starting this blog, I'm already halfway through two of the animes I'm watching and a quarter through the third. But I want to review them on this blog anyway, so I'm gonna have to start at episode seven with the reviews. So, to avoid confusion, here's a synopsis (pulled from myanimelist) of the three animes I'm watching at the moment and my thoughts on them so far. Enjoy!




B Gata H Kei

Yamada, first name withheld, is a 15 year old girl who has just entered Takizawa High School. Easily considered exceptionally beautiful, she has only one problem with her own body, she thinks her vagina looks weird and is very self-conscious about it. Upon entering high school, her dream was to have casual sex with 100 men but therein lies the problem, she believes an experienced partner will tease her about the way her vagina looks or simply the fact that she's a virgin. She stumbles upon the solution in the form of Kosuda Takashi, a fellow virgin, whom she believes will help ease the transition to more experienced partners.There's only one small problem, Yamada doesn't know anything about sex or the ancient art of seduction, meaning her quest to conquer Kosuda will be a difficult one.

I stumbled apon this synopsis on myanimelist, and I thought there was no way in hell I was watching it. One day, when I was really bored, I decided t0 watch a few minutes of it just to see how horrible it was. Was I expecting it to make me laugh? No. But I am so glad I came across this series. The hillariously wacky and perverted nature of this series will leave almost any viewer on the floor laughing.

This series had a very strong beginning, but the humor has begun to get a little dull since episode one. There are still moments that make you laugh of course, but not to the point of tears anymore. This anime is getting a little bit old. But will it pull through?




Welcome to the NHK!


Satou Tatsuhiro, 22 years old, thinks that everything that happens around him is a conspiracy. He even figured out who is behind it all: The NHK, an evil secret company. "When you think anime, you think otaku. When you think otaku, you think people that dislike other people. Those people become hikikomori (people who shut themselves in)". So Satou manages to uncover the plot of The NHK (stands for Nihon Hikikomori Kyokai), after three years of shutting himself in (and rapidly approaching the fourth). In reality, he is nothing more than a NEET (Not in Employment, Education or Training), desperately in need of a cure from that "disease". He wants to break out from the curse, but going out and getting a job is frightening enough for him. That is until he gets selected for a "project"; it is a plan to help hikikomori like him in facing the reality of this world.

This series didn't pull me in at first. It was unique from episode one, but not in your face fantastic. But by episode seven, I realized that little by little, this series has been subtly catching my interest. The characters in this series are very distant at this point and it seems you know almost nothing about them. But that mystery is probably the main thing that makes NHK the way it is.



Kashimashi ~ Girl Meets Girl

Hazumu confessed his love to Yasuna, but she turned him down. To ease his heartbreak, he went to Mt. Kashimayama where he had met her first. However, he lost his way in the mountain because it was night time. He saw a big shooting star, and when he made a wish, he found out that something was wrong. It turned out that it wasn't a shooting star, but a falling space ship. He was involved in the crash, but managed to survive by the help of an alien. However, he became a girl by accident during the reconstruction of his body.

Again, I almost knocked this one after the synopsis. What made me watch it anyway? I have no clue, but I'm glad I gave this series a second chance. This series is heartwarming, hillarious, and beautiful. Very different from the manga, which has a more comedic tone, but in a good way. This series is absolutely worth checking out. (unless you're not a shojo ai person that is...)




2 comments:

  1. B-Gata H Kei is pretty damn funny! Glad to see that someone else likes this show!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! Me too! I thought you'd be the type to knock it after reading the synopsis. What made u want to watch it?

    ReplyDelete